Taxis in Hanoi
Navigating around the busy streets of Hanoi, Vietnam can be overwhelming, especially if you are new to the city – streets are often not well marked, and roads turn into winding alleyways. Thus, taking a taxi is a safe and reliable travel option to make your way around downtown. They are easy to find around Hanoi city; you can either hail one off the streets, find a taxi at a taxi rank or you can simply request one from the comfort of your hotel.
Hand picked & english speaking drivers
Same price as a regular Taxi from the line
Drivers are always on time
24/7 Email & Phone support
(05:00 - 24:00)
(00:00 - 05:00)
Hanoi Taxi Prices
Hanoi taxis calculate their fares using a taximeter, based on the time and distance travelled to your exact location. Although Hanoi taxi prices are one of the most inexpensive in the world, you need to be aware that some taxi drivers have taximeters that run fast, to bring up the price of your trip illegally.
Base fee: €0.38 (10,000 VND)
Per Km: €0.42 (11,000 VND)
Waiting time: €0.95 (25,000 VND)
So, if you prefer to avoid the hassle of finding a taxi, or if you want to travel at a fixed price, with a local English-speaking driver, you can always pre-book a safe private transfer online.
Read all reviews
How to get a taxi in Hanoi
Getting a Hanoi cab is very easy, as there are many around the city streets, at popular tourist sites, big hotels, train stations and airports. However, it is important to know that the Vietnamese culture is slightly different; you should never beckon someone or hail a taxi with one finger; always hail a cab by raising your arm, then flatten your hand, and bend your fingers toward you.
Alternatively, you can ask your hotel to organise a cab or call one of the well-regarded taxi companies in Hanoi, such as:
Taxi CP: +84 43 826 2626
52 Taxi: +84 43 852 5252
Hanoi Taxi: +84 43 853 5353
Mai Linh Taxi: +84 43 861 6161
The Benefits of Booking a Hanoi Taxi in Advance
Most taxi drivers in Hanoi do not speak English which makes communicating a real problem. By pre-booking your private transfer from the airport with Welcome Pickups, you will always be ensured a local English-speaking driver, a competitive fixed-rate fare and no hidden fees.
Knowing that your Hanoi taxi is waiting for you at a set location at a set time is a great feeling, especially when you are new to a city. Additionally, Welcome guarantees reliable door-to-door transfers and a hassle-free experience for you and your travel partners.
Hanoi Taxi Tips
- Most Hanoi taxis do not accept credit card payments, only cash payments in the local currency (Vietnamese Dongs). However, you can always ask before starting your ride.
- Ensure your Hanoi taxi cab driver resets the taximeter to the base fare before you begin your journey.
- It is not required to tip taxi drivers in Vietnam; however, it is always appreciated. Many travellers round off the total amount and request the driver to keep the change if the driver was particularly helpful or efficient.
- Be aware that some taxi drivers insist on a higher fixed price, in this case, you should request the meter. Also, drivers may have meters that run too fast, which is why it is best to use a well-known taxi company or pre-book a private transfer.
- Please note that taxis in Hanoi do not have different fares for day or night trips.
- Make sure to ask for your receipt after your journey is complete in case you leave anything in the taxi, or if you have a complaint to report.
Taxi Safety and Complaints in Hanoi
Suppose you have encountered a bad taxi experience with a Hanoi Licensed Taxi and wish to file a complaint. In that case, you can contact and report the taxi with the cab company, or you can directly call the division’s two hotlines, including 04.39261515 and 0946791955, which are available 24/7.
The municipal Department of Culture, Sports and Tourism coordinates with the city and district police, the municipal transport department and the Hanoi Taxi Association to deal with any violations, especially those related to transport, service quality and taxi fares.
Hanoi Wheelchair Accessible Taxis and Transfers
Many Hanoi taxis accept wheelchairs in their vehicle, however, for this, the person concerned has to be able to transfer into the taxi seat themselves, and the wheelchair will need to be folded. If this is not the case, many private transfer companies provide minivans that are able to accommodate wheelchairs.